Reconnect with the past
Why visit Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges and Valcabrère ?
- A hotspot on the Santiago de Compostela routes (Piémont trail) and integral to the history of Romanity in Occitania.
- The cathedral in St-Bertrand-de-Comminges, one of the most beautiful villages in France.
- Lugdunum-Convenae ancient site.
- The majestic Pyrenean setting
- Famous hiking and cycling trails (Via Garona, Véloroute de la Garonne).
A 19th century former convent houses the Olivetans on the cathedral's forecourt: this is your go-to to understand everything about the Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges site.
Find out more.
Find out more
Climb to Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges
See how Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, as if suspended between the sky and the earth, stands out against the unspoilt background of the Pyrenean foothills! Climb up to this village surrounded by ramparts that blend into the rock. Wander down lanes lined with townhouses. Visit Sainte-Marie Cathedral, listed as UNESCO world heritage as part of the Santiago de Compostela routes. It dates back to the start of the Middle Ages. Architectural and decorative features were constantly added to it until the 16th century. Staggering!
Découvrir Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges par une belle journée d'automne ou de printemps : Florence, notre experte de Tourisme Haute-Garonne, vous recommande l'expérience et vous guide à travers ce Plus Beau Village de France.
Once inside the cathedral, you'll be blown away by the wooden choir stalls and stunning organ that are seen as Renaissance gems.
THE OLD TOWN
It's been waiting for you for 2000 years!
At the foot of Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges you'll find the Lugdunum-Convenae ancient site ruins. The town was founded in 1BC and prospered until the barbarian invasions in 585. You'll see the forum, arena, thermal baths and gated square. Just imagine: 5-10,000 people lived here! Don't miss the early Christian basilica, one of the oldest Christian churches in Southern Gaul. It is listed as a World Heritage of Humanity site with the Saint-Julien Chapel.
SAINT-JUST DE VALCABRÈRE
More than a church; a wave of pure emotion
Saint-Just-de-Valcabère Basilica rises below Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges among the prairies in a Tuscan setting. It's one of the most impressive Roman churches in Occitania. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site as part of the Santiago de Compostela routes. The basilica is built on top of a pagan necropolis and early Christian cemetery and you'll be blown away by its purity, simplicity and magnetism. The use of the old town's stones to build it only adds to its unique feel.
A pamphlet available at the cathedral entrance lists 4 themed walks (30 mins to 2 hrs) to get the most out of the site: the town and its surroundings, archaeological walk etc.
ON FOOT OR BY BIKE
Explore or reach the Comminges region
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges was a hotspot on the Santiago de Compostela routes for centuries. Hikers still pass by and several other footpaths and mountain biking trails snake through the Pyrenean plateau. Cyclists: hit the Véloroute de la Garonne which covers 106km from the Toulouse region to the Pyrenees. Hikers: set out on an adventure on the Via Garona "Grande Randonnée" hiking trail (GR®861) taking you from Toulouse to Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges in 170km and 7 stages!
All roads lead to Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges
The beautiful scenery, the Pyrenees in line of sight and Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges looming before you. Head to southern Haute-Garonne for a day, weekend or week off in the great outdoors. Video 1:20 © Haute-Garonne Tourisme
- En voiture : accès depuis Toulouse par l’A64, puis sur l’A645 direction Luchon, et la N125 jusqu’à Saint-Bertrand/Valcabrère. Montpellier est à 3h30 de route, en empruntant l’A61 jusqu’à Toulouse.
- En avion : à partir de l’aéroport international de Toulouse-Blagnac (2h de route), ou de l’aéroport international de Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées (50 mn).
- En train : la gare SNCF la plus proche est celle de Montréjeau / Gourdan-Polignan à 9 km, sur les lignes TER Toulouse-Tarbes-Pau et Toulouse-Luchon. Des services d’autocars et de taxis relient à Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges.